Saturday, July 10, 2010

Writer's Block: Where I Want to Be

Livejournal has a daily writer's block question and sometimes I find they really jog my memory! Today's question is What was your childhood dream? Did you ever accomplish it?

My childhood dream was to be a jockey. I never wanted to be a ballerina or a princess or anything like that. Suffice to say, I haven't achieved that dream despite being short enough - alas, I wouldn't make the weight requirement! The last remnant of that dream faded around Grade 9 or 10. Before my family moved to Calgary, I seriously thought about attending Olds College for their Equine Science or Exercise Rider and Jockey program. Alberta has a thriving horse industry and if the new Balzac racetrack ever gets built, it will have two major racetracks.

But my parents favoured career plans that were more practical and less dirty, so I never did have the encouragement in that area either. I practically grew up at Northlands Park, which was my Dad's way of babysitting us when Mom worked weekends or evenings. It was great, if a little odd - we could run around wherever we wanted, there were always fries after the eighth race and there were horses to watch! There was never a shortage of Dad's friends who doted on my brother and I as well. Like bowling, an afternoon at the racetrack seems like an antiquated hobby.

Naturally, I loved The Black Stallion as well. I wish I could find it, but I have a Grade 1 drawing of me riding The Black. It's such an adorable picture - I love kid's art - but it's a picture I keep finding and losing over the years. The next time I find it, I promise to scan it in!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your dream with us.

    I didn't really have any dreams that I remember. Just things I decided to try along the way, usually involving photography, art or poetry.

    LOL as a kid I colored rocks and sold them, made a lot of money one summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known very few people over the years that actually had a pretty firm dream, so it's nice to wander and try things out :-) "Always Artistic" definitely fits you!

    ReplyDelete