Monday, January 3, 2011

Weaving Up A Storm!

I can’t help the pun. “Dangerous weather” was the class theme for our weaving project. We started around the beginning of November and it literally took a month to finish an 8x10” piece. Weaving can be deceiving - as soon as you make progress, the wool packs down and you have to keep at it. It was very challenging because the copper pipe looms were awkward and after a while it became easier to just sit down on the floor and weave. A few other classmates did tornadoes and they all turned out pretty cool! A tornado is probably the most dangerous weather you can find on the prairies, although a good snowstorm is plenty scary. I lived in Edmonton when the 1987 tornado came through town. It sure wasn't a little wind funnel :S


The nice thing about this class was that we got to sample a bit of everything. Weaving was definitely my favourite. I really love being able to use a variety of colours, and the surface can be embellished with beads and embroidery as well. There’s a lot of potential and I’m thinking I may get an inexpensive table top loom to see how much farther I can go. Jane gave us a handout on mounting small tapestries and I have yet to decide how I will mount mine. So much schoolwork often just ends up in a portfolio that it should get up on the walls!

5 comments:

  1. Your weaving turned out great, so pretty. I love working with fiber, I don't sew but I love needle felting and weaving would be fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marlene. It wasn't looking very promising at first. I thought about making woven ACEOs! We did a bit of needle felting and making our own felt (which will be the next exciting post). Your needle felting is always so amazing. Now that I have tried it, I can say it isn't for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, this is beautiful!!! I was reading your post from Marlene and I think woven aceo's would be so pretty and different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stacy :-) I have a homemade hexagon loom that I got off of Freecycle and I think it might be long enough for ACEOs. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks like a lot of work but it turned out wonderful. Aceo's would be cool!

    ReplyDelete