Sunday, January 18, 2009

Winter Blues

It's funny how something can always be there, but you don't notice it until a certain age or time. This winter I'm really noticing the colour blue. Maybe I first noticed it when I was working on a painting at the back of the house where the patio doors are. It's a great place to work because it gets lots of light all day.

And for some reason this year, in my 31st year of life, I noticed how rich the colours were and how quickly they changed within minutes. All the luxurious shades, from navy blue of 6am to the mellow coolness created by an incoming cold front. And then the process repeated itself as night fell.

Now the days are starting to get longer bit by bit, and I regret not trying to take a photograph of some trees by the bus stop. Due to cold weather and harsh road conditions, the bus was late and my mission was too important to abandon and retreat to the house. With just a little slit to see out of, I considered the trees carefully, noted their shape as they bowed towards each other as if a pair of lovers. The light blue snow contrasted nicely with their dark shapes, which were still strong against the early evening sky. I must capture this, I thought, but I didn't make it back out there with the camera. Now that wonderful light won't happen again for another year. But there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment