Monday, April 26, 2010

Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo

Another CCEE has come and gone, and this year was definitely the busiest. I remember when my husband and I (two certifiable geeks!) went to the first one in 2005 or 2006 and thought the line up was too long and the place too packed. It started out in the Big Four building at the Stampede grounds and now it seems like the exhibit hall in the BMO Centre is too small! This is an exhibit space that holds a lot of tradeshows, but there was barely any elbow room. We sometimes found ourselves standing in line without any idea of what we were standing in line for!

Saturday was about as much as we could handle. This year was a record-breaker for attendance and we certainly felt it as we shuffled along. I had extra water, trail mix, my camera and a good pair of walking shoes, which was sorely needed by the time we pooped out around 3:30. We dithered about going back for another look around the exhibits and finally decided to go home. Good thing we did, I suppose - rain soon turned to snow.

I'm so glad for the CCEE. It's an event that Calgarians turn out for in droves and it's fun to see so many fans of science fiction and fantasy movies, video games, cartoons, and comics. There is a lot of local talent and I enjoy talking to the different artists, who are only too happy to share about their work or process. I like seeing vintage toys myself. The dedication and devotion that the CCEE staff bring to the event shows in the top special guests it attracts - this year Leonard Nimoy, Brent Spiner and Malcolm MacDowell were among those who people sought a glimpse or autograph from.

Here's to next year!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. I am afraid my days of doing things like that are over - I have a hard time with crowds these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! But I am with Marlene, I can't handle that much walking and crowds, never could! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's truly crazy! I'm actually kind of glad it only happens once a year. Today I'm off to a Rock and Gem Show - I'm sure it will be pretty tame in comparison!

    ReplyDelete