Friday, February 20, 2015

My Fun New Custom Sizzix Die!

Today I have a very exciting blog post. It's the story of how I ordered my own die from Ellison, probably better known to crafters as Sizzix, makers of the Big Shot die cutting machine. Some of you know I used to make a lot of artists trading cards. But I always got hung up on being precise about the measurements and cutting all the cards from different materials. Thought was killing action! So, I thought, I'll just find a die and crank out tons of cards.

Well, it turns out that it's very hard to find a die with the right dimensions. If it exists, my Google-fu is severely broken. I could find rectangle dies for sure, but none were the same dimensions as an artist trading card. The closest I came up with was 2.25 x 3.25". The size of rectangles seemed pretty arbitrary. So I just happened to be on the Sizzix website and saw a Thanksgiving sale on custom dies. I sent off an email and found out that they only made custom block style and not wafer thin dies. Not a problem though! I put the order through, approved a proof and a few weeks later, my die arrived through FedEx.

I couldn't wait to try it out and got a piece of scrap paper. It cut a perfect crisp Artist Trading Card. Look at all the cards I cut from old brochures, paper scraps and maps. It made dozens of dies in minutes.

It's true that I have a digital die cutter, but it uses sticky mats, and delicate materials like thin paper and fabric wouldn't work very well. I really enjoyed the friendly and prompt service from the Ellison rep, and yes, they ship to Canada. It was wrapped in a bubble mailer inside another bubble mailer. I promised the rep that my next order would be far more exciting than a plain rectangle.
Probably something with a horse or a bird, you know me!

Now I just have to get into action and make some completed ATCs and ACEOs :-) Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Christine, what a great idea! That's a great looking stash of cards you got there!
    The worse thing about making ACEOs is having to cut them accurately, I don't like the finicky cutting and measuring by hand either. You got yourself a great solution there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) I would be happy to send you a bunch if you like. It's good to know that I wasn't alone in the accuracy department either. I would recut prints over and over :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic Christine! Wow! I have to say, my aceo's always come out a little bit off! LOL! I try my best, but it's hard! Thanks so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun - I have gotten a crazy amount of use out of it, but am just starting to make some ACEOs again. It really is hard to cut them straight - probably just being too picky, haha! Hope you have had a good week!

      Delete