Sunday, January 31, 2010

My First ATC Night!

Here in Calgary we have a great building called Art Central, which is home to a host of different art shops, artisans, a flower store, a restaurant and a coffee shop among other things. When I first moved to Calgary in 1994, the building that Art Central now occupies had at least two bars and who knows else what! The building was deteriorating and it was the perfect spot and time to be reborn into something better. If I recall right, Calgary actually has a shortage of affordable art space.

Anyhow, I made it down to The New Gallery last night, where they have Artist Trading Card nights on the last Saturday of every month. I was kind of nervous - how many people would be there? Would I have enough cards? What if they weren't my kind of crowd?

Fortunately everything worked out and I came home with some nice trades. People were really eager to trade, it was almost competitive. People arrived with these huge binders of cards and they got passed around like high school yearbooks. I had only about seven cards to trade and I whipped up two on the spot.

I'll have to get myself a big binder now - and I noticed people trading photo ACEOs as well as prints, so I'll have to do that for next time. It was a little embarrasing to run out of things to trade!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun - I don't know if we have anything close to me like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really nice and we're so lucky to have it - Calgary isn't the most artsy city, so it takes a lot of encouragement :-) The only thing that could have made the night better was some nibbles!

    ReplyDelete