Monday, January 18, 2010

Workin' on it

I read an article online that today is "Blue Monday", which is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. Today was a bummer, but mostly due to a long company wide meeting in the afternoon. After sitting for two hours in a dark theatre, I was quite ready to go back outside again or take a nap.

Apparently by now a lot of New Year's goals are abandoned as well - and personally I can't believe it's January 18th already! Whoa! Put the brakes on 2010 someone! So far I'm doing really good with one of my Mission 101 goals, which is to make Sundays truly a day of rest. I resisted the urge to vacuum and my sole housework was cleaning the bird cage. I went to the Alliance church behind our house and enjoyed a very thoughtful sermon on faith and good works (as opposed to just good works or faith), then I played cards with our neighbours and later my husband joined us for dinner. A blessed, relaxing day indeed!

Whatever you do though, we all need a day of rest, whether it's on a Sunday or Monday or other day of the week. That was one of the lessons I took from a book called How Did I Get So Busy? by Valorie Burton which I highly recommend. When you get too busy, you start ignoring not only your own physical and spiritual needs, but those of others too. Burton is a warm and sincere author whose gentle advice can put anyone back on the right track for what matters most to them. I have read many a book about "getting things done" but she's the first to address the whole person, not just how many things you can cross off a list :-)

2 comments:

  1. Whoa to 2010 is right, already going so fast. Interesting about it being Blue Monday, It was definitely that here, cold, gray, wet, and very windy, it was so dark all day. Hope today will be a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Blue Monday before either, but it was a very blah day here. It was nice to see some sun today (as well as the Olympic Torch!).

    With my portfolio deadline approaching, I just have to rein things in :-)

    ReplyDelete